Andrew J Edsor
Andrew J dsor
Private & Confidential Resume
October 2014 POSITION: Franchise Development Director
Quest North Ryde
EMPLOYER: Quest North Ryde
PERIOD HELD: July 2006 - Present
Quest North Ryde, Is a 173 key 4 ½ Star full service Quest Serviced Apartments Business Franchise
It services a predominately corporate client base located in the
Macquarie Park business corridor.
• Financial Management, Cash Flow, Cost Control, Revenue Maximisation
• Development & Implementation of Sales & Marketing Strategies & Actions ,
• Negotiation of leases and ongoing liaison with landlords, and other key stakeholders
• Franchisee/Franchisor relationship management,
• Management and implementation of Franchisor brand standards and initiatives,
• Human resource management & staff development, and • Asset management including development and implementation of a preventive
maintenance program, establishing day to day facility maintenance contracts, and for developing with costs the long term refurbishment / capital works plan.
• Significant Accommodation Revenue and Profit Growth
• Maintained market share and ADR during the downturn associated with the GFC,
• Established and grew ancillary revenue streams (Car Parking, HSIA and Mini Bar)
• Human resource development, providing a platform for young people to move into more senior roles within and beyond the business,
• Built loyalty with major clients, ensuring year on year retention even in difficult trading
• Utilised new technologies increasing online opportunities for maximising sales and brand
awareness - some of which have been adopted by the Franchisor as Quest standards.
Quest Serviced Apartments Businesses
EMPLOYER: Quest Serviced Apartments Businesses
PERIOD HELD: Nov 2002 - July 2006
Quest Serviced Apartments Businesses undertakes site research, selection, development,
acquisition and commissioning of new Quest Service Apartment businesses.
Working closely with the Quest Serviced Apartment Group it delivered complete operational
businesses to the group for sale to franchisees.
• Grow the Quest brand by identifying potential development sites, joint venture
opportunities and acquisition of existing business opportunities;
• Conducting detailed feasibility studies on the viability of new development proposals and making recommendations to the Managing Director on whether or not to proceed;
• Ensuring the establishment of all operational infrastructure and systems for front office,
housekeeping, maintenance and financial management, record keeping, and performance reporting were established prior to business commencement,
• Ensuring the physical infrastructure of the business reflected Quest standards and was
appropriate for the business location and market, this encompassed numerous
operational items and often included apartment fit outs, establishment of signage and all pre-opening marketing to the point of Sale;
• In the period I successfully commissioned more than 30 new Quest businesses located in
NSW, Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland;
• Of the businesses commissioned over 90% are now operating at or above expected
trading levels as franchised entities;
• Designed and documented detailed specifications for the development of new Quest
businesses including building standards, fixture specifications, infrastructure requirements and furniture;
• Developed detailed site selection specifications and criteria, which supported the Quest
Franchise Business model;
• Developed a "target" list of development/establishment locations enabling Quest to continue seeking and securing sites,
• Developed profiles of more than 20 preferred locations which meet Quest Serviced
Apartments site selection specification and criteria,
Quest Serviced Apartments Group
EMPLOYER: Quest Serviced Apartments Group
PERIOD HELD: July 1999 - Nov 2002
Quest Serviced Apartments Businesses (QSA) is a franchise business system providing operational
systems and support to franchisees operating Quest Serviced Apartment businesses.
Operational Systems Development
• Reviewed and selected services and consumable items utilised in any Quest Serviced
• Designed and documented standard operating policy and procedures associated with operation of a Quest Serviced Apartment business,
• Ensured operational policy and procedures were reflective of changing market
expectations and consumer purchasing trends and achieved compliance with all
related business regulations,
• Developed fit out, design standards, and infra structure specifications.
• Reviewed and reported on the operational and financial performance of each of the
• Worked with the individual business managers, to develop strategies and actions to improve the businesses performance across the portfolio;
• Established performance measures and benchmarks for inclusion in the standard
• identified and analysed non-performing elements of a business and the causes before implementing remedial actions; and
• Made recommendations to the Managing Director and other executive officers of the business where issues were relating to financial controls, or balance sheet issues.
• 80% of the QSA Businesses in my portfolio were sold to independent franchisees at increased market values;
• 90% of current QSA Businesses at the time of my departure were operating in excess of budget ready for sale to independent franchisees within six months,
• Developed policy, procedure and training manuals for operating Quest businesses many of which form the foundations of the Quest Serviced Apartment business system
• Sourced, managed and implemented the introduction of an IT platform based standard
inventory management (PMS) system to operate Quest Serviced Apartment businesses.
The key criteria being the integration of inventory with (seamless) online integration of inventory accounting in a form that was cost neutral to franchisees,
• Developed a team of "Business Systems Trainers" to deliver operational business system
training to Franchise Managers and Franchisees,
Nepean Country Club Limited
EMPLOYER: Nepean Country Club Limited, Rosebud Victoria
PERIOD HELD: April 1997 to June 1999
Nepean Country Club is a time share resort comprising 105 accommodation suites, conference
facilities and restaurant operations owned by 3000 share/entitlement holders. \\
• Managing the traditional commercial day to day elements of the resort including
development of management & operational policies and procedures.
• Strategic positioning of the business to realise improved value for owners, including
growing existing and developing new revenue streams and implementation of financial
• Implemented a performance management system for personnel
• Managing the issues associated with a time-share scheme including acting as Company
• Maximised accommodation occupancy and yields; and conference revenues through proactive sales and marketing strategy
• Introduced entitlement allocation system, which distributed time-share entitlements equally among owners.
• Reduced significantly delinquent shares recouping debts and redistributing non-contributing
shares to active ownership.
• Settled the clubs debt with the developer thus freeing funds for the refurbishment and upgrading of membership facilities.
• Implemented operational changes, which reversed the losses, incurred in food and beverage operations so a surplus was produced.
• Introduced cost efficient facility maintenance practices - including some outsourcing;
• Oversaw a major refurbishment program;
• Ensured consistent standards in hospitality service via an in house training program; and • Established corporate compliance including developing Occupational Health & Safety
King Village Quest Resort
EMPLOYER: King Village Quest Resort
PERIOD HELD: October 1993 - April 1997
King Village Resort
King Village Resort is a multifaceted hospitality and leisure business comprising 73
accommodation suites, various conference and function facilities, fine dining restaurant and a
membership based recreational facility which included a gymnasium, swimming pool, tennis,
squash and basketball facilities.
• Established a sales and marketing plan and reviewed effectiveness on an ongoing basis,
• Undertook pro-active sales activity making regular contact with existing, new and potential clients,
• Provided leadership and developed expertise among the management team,
• Implemented staff training, occupational health and safety and quality control systems,
• Established policies and procedures for staff selection, service delivery and product
quality (e.g. housekeeping standards, stock control,
• Implemented consumer feedback mechanisms, including guest comment cards,
meetings with leisure complex members,
• Drawing together the very different components of the business and forming a single
entity structure which was able to provide complementary services to the local
community and guests.
• Assisting in securing a major long-term tenant whose business has significant synergy with that of King Village Resort maximising the return on the existing infrastructure.
• Managing a significant refurbishment of the guest accommodation, leisure facilities and food and beverage outlets.
• Increased revenue and contribution from all segments of the business, Accommodation,
Food & Beverage and Leisure Centre