Solicitors Regulation Authority
Head of Contact Centre - Solicitors Regulation Authority - 2008 to date
The SRA is the independent regulatory body of the Law Society of England & Wales. They are a public-interest regulator for solicitors, committed to protecting the interests of consumers. I was recruited to run the Contact Centre, which required modernisation of technology, culture, working practices and performance management methods.
• Managing up to 80 staff, handling 600,000+ contacts from the public and solicitors
• Maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders, providing clear reports on services and contributing to wider strategic plans
• Balancing operational services to meet customer demand within stringent budgets circa £1.2m
• Exhibiting strong leadership to achieve service levels, quality standards, maintain skills and demonstrate behavioural competencies
• Leading and driving operational and strategic projects and demonstrating benefits realisation
• Strong change management and continuous improvement focus, innovation and process review
• Development and delivery of Contact Centre annual business plan in line with SRA's strategic objectives and regulatory framework
• Instigated a performance tracking framework that aligned all activities to business unit and strategic plans. This was adopted by some of my peers in their own units as it generated high levels of individual accountability for own and organisational performance.
• Uplifted telephony service level from 70% of calls answered in 60 seconds to 80% in 20 seconds, with the same resources. I drove through cultural changes to create more customer focused behaviours, reviewed ways of working, made changes to the training programme and initiated a performance management framework.
• Commissioned and delivered call recording, overseeing the project from outline business case stage, through requirements gathering, development and implementation. This enabled faster turnaround and more representative quality samples and in turn, fairer performance reviews and more robust controls to monitor our service to consumers and the regulated community.
• Secured funding for, and commissioned, an outsourced contact centre to support the launch of the SRA's first online services. Service levels from our outsource provider were consistently achieved during this period, stabilising our service during a time of critical change for the SRA and the regulated community. I was responsible for reviewing tender documents, visiting potential sites and making the final choice of supplier.
• Oversaw the move of the Contact Centre from previous site in Redditch to The Cube in central Birmingham, achieving a seamless transfer of services for customers and stakeholders. I achieved this by implementing a 12 month programme of staff engagement prior to the move. This encompassed gathering feedback from staff, piloting shift plans, supporting with new travel and childcare arrangements, and training and skills management for new technology. The team were highly engaged with the logistical and technical work involved. On day one, they were handling enquiries successfully with no impact to our customers.
Baxi Plc, Warwick - Operations Support Manager - 2007
Baxi Plc is a heating and boiler provider, and I joined them following my redundancy from Cheltenham & Gloucester to run the team planning and tracking the field engineers' schedules.
• Managing service engineers' schedules across the UK in real time to meet fluctuating customer demands
• Leading the team to create efficient engineer schedules, meet telephone service levels and accurate/timely ordering of parts
Coventry Building Society
Coventry Building Society - Senior Project Analyst -
I joined the Customer Service Centre Project Team to support with a review of their technology and practices for mortgage processing. I led the pre-completion process re-engineering, drawing on my previous experience in this area with Cheltenham & Gloucester.
• Running workshops with business units to document current processes and seek feedback
• Reviewing end to end pre-completion processes, identifying opportunities for reduction of manual intervention and improvements to service levels
• Producing final requirements
• Recommending technological and process driven solutions
I achieved high levels of engagement from the teams involved, with honest and safe discussion environments during the information gathering workshops. Consequently I delivered a comprehensive discovery phase with sound recommendations.
Cheltenham & Gloucester Plc
Cheltenham & Gloucester Plc, Warwick: Assistant Manager, Sales Support Unit/LendHelp -
Joined in 1995 when C&G had just opened their mortgage processing centre in Warwick, progressing through the roles of Sales Support Officer, Section Leader, Assistant Manager
• Managing circa 65 staff processing mortgage applications and handling Lending Policy helpline calls
• Responsible for telephony service levels 80% answered in 20 seconds, valuations within 48 hours, mortgage offers within 14 days, resourcing, performance management, training and development, coaching and mentoring of teams
• Relationship management of contacts within Lloyds TSB branch network and panel valuers
• Provided coaching and support to peers prior to being a line manager, as I showed strength in this area. I contributed to significant performance improvements for individual colleagues.
• Wrote and delivered a Training Manual for the unit within my first 12 months at C&G.
• Consistently delivered to service levels across telephony, mortgage offer and valuation service levels during my time as Section Leader and Assistant Manager.
• Built strong experience of handling performance management issues, including disciplinary, grievance and capability.
• Devised and monitored process to monitor compliance matters, e.g. EU Working Time Regulations, Money Laundering, Data Protection
• Managed and oversaw migration of telephony and mortgage processing services to Head Office in Gloucester as part of closure of Warwick site in . Delivered consistent service to customers during this transition period of 10 months. I established willingness in the team such that even those taking redundancy delivered training for new, Gloucester based staff that would ultimately replace them. I also supported my teams through the consultation process to help them understand options available to them, and balanced resources between both sites through the wind down of Warwick and ramp up at Gloucester.