Our Federal Department client is looking for a Senior Assessing Officer to join their team on a temporary contract (up to 12 months). As a Senior Assessing Officer you will work with a dedicated group of officers who are committed to maintaining and improving Australia's biosecurity system. The successful candidate will need to enjoy working in a fast-paced and changing work environment, display initiative, be able to manage numerous competing priorities, have sound judgement, and deliver quality work within tight deadlines.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Provide supervision and training to staff undertaking import permit assessments to ensure permits are issued in accordance with the department's service charter and are consistent with Australia's biosecurity legislation and import policies
- Provide sound technical advice to importers, operational staff within the department and other stakeholders on biosecurity clearance issues associated with animal and biological product imports
- Deliver various briefings, reports and correspondence
- Review and update technical work instructions for operational staff within the department undertaking frontline biosecurity related functions
- Manage changes to the department's import conditions database (BICON) and other online material
- Assist with reviews of business processes, identify opportunities for improvement and implement changes.
The ideal candidate would have:
- Experience in a regulatory environment;
- An understanding of Australia's biosecurity system, biosecurity concepts and their application;
- Managing competing priorities in busy technical or operational environments.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse scientific and technical information and problem solve
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholders including importers, overseas organisations and staff within the department
- Well developed written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to use judgement and manage competing priorities within tight deadlines
- Attention to detail with a focus on producing high quality and accurate work
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team with a high level of initiative and personal motivation
- Ability to supervise staff.
A tertiary qualification, or equivalent experience, in a relevant area of biological, agricultural or environmental science is mandatory.
If this sounds like the role for you then APPLY NOW by submitting your resume online in a word format or email it to
You can call us on for a confidential discussion.