The University of Melbourne was founded by Act of the Victorian Parliament in 1853, two years after the University of Sydney, making Melbourne the second oldest university in Australia. The foundation stone of the first building, the Old Quadrangle, was laid in April 1854. When the University was founded, 10 hectares (25 acres) of land on the north edge of the City were set aside for its campus. Today the campus has doubled to more than 20 hectares. Major University buildings are located off the campus as well, east of Swanston Street and south of Grattan Street as far as Queensberry Street.