Barker College was founded by The Reverend Henry Plume at Kurrajong Heights in early 1890 with five pupils, and was named for Plume’s mentor and friend, The Right Reverend Frederic Barker, the second Bishop of Sydney. When the Rev Plume established his school he had little interest in school uniform and badges. However, as a concession to prevailing custom, he permitted the boys to wear a red and blue hat band. He selected these colours from Corpus Christi College at Cambridge University in England, where he had been a student. When the school moved to Hornsby in 1896, he allowed the cricket and football teams to wear red and blue colours when competing against local teams.